Halloween has traditionally been one of the most exciting holidays for children. Here at Yellowknife Online we would like to ensure that everyone exercises precaution to ensure a safe, enjoyable, and accident-free Halloween so we complied a list of Halloween Safety Tips.
PARENTS please ensure your children:
- are dressed appropriately for the weather, so make sure costumes fit over coats and snow pants if necessary.
- are visible wearing reflective tape on the front and back of their costumes for better visibility, or light sticks which can be worn around their necks or wrists
- carry a flashlight
- walk in groups – staying together
- stick to well lit, populated areas;
- accept treats at the front door, never go inside a house
- cross only at corners. Never dart between parked cars or in the middle of the block
- It is also a good idea to take a cell phone with you in case of an emergency.
- are careful of ice on sideways and road.
- DO NOT eat any candy until it has been checked by an adult.
- Let your parents know where you are going (the general route) and when you will be home.
- Do not trick or treat at houses that have their lights out.
- Use the sidewalk, and do not run across lawns or gardens.
- Cross the street at crosswalks or intersections and make sure you look both ways.
- Do not eat homemade treats or fruit if you do not know who made them and where they came from.
- Throw away any treats that are not in sealed packaging.
- Wear good solid shoes/boots and make sure your costume is not too long to prevent tripping.
- Trick or treat early, and finish early so you are not out late at night.
- Never go into alleys, parking lots, wooded areas, or vacant lots.
- Stay in well-lit areas.
- Do not go near animals you do not know.
- Stay away from firecrackers and fireworks, or anyone playing with them. Not only are they illegal to have, but they are Very Dangerous!
- Please slow down and to watch for kids that might dart in front of you,
- Focus on surroundings – pay attention to crosswalks and intersection,
- Remember that the roads may be icy and stopping distances are longer,
- DON’T DRINK AND DRIVE. If you have been drinking call a cab!
- City Cab: 867-873-4444
- Aurora Cabs: 867-873-5050
- RCMP – 669-1111
- Fire & Ambulance – 873-2222
Yellowknifers do you have any Halloween Safety Tips? Share below.