Yellowknife has the opportunity to elect a new city council and mayor every three years – possibly soon to be 4 years. This is the time for residents to learn about who is putting their names forward to represent the community when it comes to municipal decisions. And some would say it is our civic duty as residents to be informed and vote. To the end, I have put together somewhat of a directory of all the information that can be found online about each of the 4 mayoral candidates and 16 council candidates.
As new information is published I will add it to the directory. If something is obviously missing, please let me know in a comment below or through the contact page.
A few points though, I will not be linking to personal Facebook Profiles, only Facebook Pages. In some cases councillors seeking re-election still have election material online from 2015, please ensure you read closely for current day platforms.
Table of Content
Debates and Candidate Forums
- Alternatives North – Mayoral Forum – September 27th, 2018, 7 pm – Baker Centre
- YK Chamber of Commerce – Mayoral Business Forum – October 2nd, 6:30 pm – Northern United Place
- YK Chamber of Commerce – Councillor Business Forum – October 4th, 6:30 pm – Northern United Place
- Alternative North – Councillor Forum – October 10th, 7 pm – Northern United Place
Yellowknife Chamber Councillor Candidate Forum
Yellowknife Chamber Mayoral Canadidate Forum
Election and Voting Information
The election takes place on Monday, October 15, between 10 am and 8 pm.
Voting can be done beforehand, at the office of the returning officer, from October 1-5 between 9 am and 4:30 pm if you need to.
Office of the Returning Officer
4807 52 Street
P.O. Box 580
Yellowknife, NT X1A 2N4
On the day, voting stations can be found as follows:
- Poll 1 (Great Slave) Sir John Franklin High School
- Poll 2 (Yellowknife North) St Patrick High School
- Poll 3 (Yellowknife Centre) Northern United Place
- Poll 4 (Frame Lake) William McDonald School
- Poll 5 (Range Lake) Range Lake North School
- Poll 6 (Kam Lake) Multiplex Gym
- Poll 7 (Yellowknife South) NJ Macpherson School
Not sure where to vote? Call the City at 920-5602 or click here for info.