My first memory of Sutherlands Drugs was as a thief. Yep, I shoplifted a candy bracelet at the behest of the delinquent babysitter of my 6 year old girlfriend. The statute of limitations has long run out (right, Karan? Right?).
Fourty years later, with twenty years of Vancouver living in between, I worked up my nerve to walk back in.
While Shoppers is gorgeous, and the Co-op meets most of my grocery needs, Sutherlands has knocked my socks off.
I honestly think it’s the most understated, awesome socially conscious store I’ve ever been in. I can buy…
- My favourite fair-trade coffee, Level Ground
- Tom’s of Maine toothpaste and deodorant (all natural! no animal testing!)
- Camino (cooperative) chocolate
- Happy Planet juice (the founder of this is now Vancouver’s mayor, after being one of the original organic farmers)
- and an incredible array of intelligent, quality magazines
What amuses and impresses me is that in Vancouver, a shop carrying such good products would be all slick and self-congratulatory. Sutherlands has this completely humble look and feel as it quietly provides exactly the kinds of products I want to buy. Hat tip, Sutherlands!
(posted by Nancy Zimmerman)